#3) Life Coaches


Hello, and welcome back to "Always Be Better" with Mel Windham.

This week, I've decided to break away from all the introductions and give you some actual advice. Today we're going to talk about life coaches.

"What's a life coach?" you may ask. Perhaps it's best for me to answer with my own experience.

A few years ago, I was lost. I didn't know what to do next in life. Work was particularly stressful, and I was frustrated, wondering why I wasn't getting anywhere. But then came my friend Wayne.


At church, he approached me and asked if I needed a life coach. I didn't know what that was, but I figured it was worth a try. He then listened to what I wanted in life -- what my dreams were, what my frustrations were, and before I knew it, he was quickly helping me to organize my thoughts. He helped me to come up with plans, and to execute them. He helped me to develop good habits and to keep track of my progress.

And here we are, hard at work.


Because of his guidance, I was able to accomplish several milestones. I started up my own music publishing company. I got up the courage to reach out to big name composers and to corroborate. I got the confidence to pass my last actuarial exam. And Wayne also inspired me to go ahead with this video series. I was even able to improve my situation at work -- Maybe I'll tell you the CEO story in a later video.

You see ... we humans have this gigantic blind spot when it comes to looking at ourselves. When I explain life coaching to my friends, they almost always tell me, "It sounds like you're the one doing all the work." But without Wayne, I'm pretty certain that I would still be stuck and wondering what to do with my life. What he brought to the table was to present another viewpoint on me. He pointed at things about myself I never even knew -- and I'm with myself every day! He helped me to organize, and then he followed up. Because of him, I actually got things done.

Even with all my accomplishments, we still meet once a month, because I know that I'm not done. I know that I can always be better, and I've really only just now begun. 

Throughout this video series, I'll relate things I've learned and so much more.

And now, over the next week, I'd like you to think about life coaches. Do you know someone who could do this for you? It could be a professional, or it could be a friend -- anyone can do it, as long as you trust them. Maybe you could pay someone, or you could try a two-way coaching arrangement. You could have brainstorming sessions and help each other see what the other can't see, and work toward success in your lives.

Of course, this is optional, but I've found that my life coach has been indispensable in helping me push forward in life. You may be able to do fine on your own, depending on your personality, but it's something to think about.

Well, that's it for this week. Thanks for watching, and remember, we can "Always Be Better."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#28) Logic Puzzles

#4) The Beginnings of a Video Series

#47) Visiting Wieners and Losers